Well, we've been back in Haiti long enough to cover a 24 hour span and adventure, or maybe more accurately called as testing, has already found us. In a country like Haiti there's so much unpredictability you can almost guarantee you'll hit trials as soon as you land, but also be witness to amazing provision. If flights and travel go smooth, which they amazingly did for us this time, then something else is bound to creep up. For us this time it was Marc's back suddenly going out. It was irritated Christmas Day before we left, but with all the extended sitting in planes, trains and automobiles, it was really angry by the time we finally reached home. He could barely walk. He missed the revival service to go lay down. Kids and I just enjoyed the first hour of singing, then we shuttled everyone home to bed. Marc and I wrought with exhaustion promptly hit the bed, advising our children to do the same, but their wired excitement kept them alert til 10pm, when I finally at my wits end brought the hammer down. I could hardly put a sentence together to properly tell at them, I was so groggy. Finally the house was quiet.... until a Aden outcry from Marc next to me at 2am when his back began to spasm and send electric shocks down his legs. He was in serious pain and couldn't move.  And what do you do at 2am in an emergency of such with no 24 hour urgent care center in Haiti? You do the next best thing- call a friend with connections. In our case, that's Archange, always ready when called on to make something happen, even in the middle of the night. Soon after he was at our door with a hospital personnel & doctor & Leah, our pharmacist. They did some checks, gave him a shot for pain and muscle relaxing drugs and ordered for an X-ray and blood tests to be done in the morning. The very medical things to do but important nonetheless. We both tried to sleep again around 4:30am, fitfully for him, dead to the world for me... until 6 am when our kids decided since we're back in Haiti it's good to wake up with the dawn. Ugh... I desperately tried to keep sleeping, with many interruptions, til I gave up around 9:30am. Another nurse came to take Marc's blood. 

So that brings us to today, an interesting one in deed. You see, Haiti's days seem to move at snail pace but so much can happen in a short time that it's hard to convey it all. 

I decided to set out w the kids in search of lunch at the campus. The boys (Asher, Ken & Kiki), set out ahead of us as I corralled the girls and Austin towards the vehicle. Flat tire. Ok, so we walk. It's only 1 mile. By 11am now though it's pretty warm. We meet Ronald on the way so he gives us a lift then sets out to fix the tire. Finally by 1pm I bring Marc lunch, doctor him with pills, then get him out of bed to go for his X-ray. Grand-Goâve's hospital X-ray is broken. We head to Petit-Goave to a specialized clinic, but there's no power. So we try the Petit Goâve Hospital. We pay a fee and a man runs to start a generator. Then he leads us to the X-ray building, which is a scary room that looks like a place for interrogation, paint peeling, one loose bulb swinging from a wire, a pile of X-ray machine rubble in the corner and the big beastly table for X-rays. Turned out the generator technician was also the X-ray tech and he invited me to join them in the room to "see". All I could think of was the unseen demons of radiation I was probably being exposed to for Marc's sake. In 15 min we were done and on our way. 

We received many messages from friends with physio advice to help Marc get moving and stretching, which has helped immensely. That was the afternoon activity. And of course, our biggest weapon when we don't know what else to do is pray and solicit prayer. so thank you all for your prayers. And our amazing church, with another revival night, prayed. 

Ronald's wedding is tomorrow and I'm praying Marc will be able to go, since that's the reason we left so quickly after Christmas- never again mind you. maybe I can get some sleep finally tonight. No more of this waking up at 2:30am business. 

Hittin the sack.  

1 Comment